Like all those fortunate enough to attend the 2019 partypoker LIVE Caribbean Poker Party, I feel blessed just having been there. What a tournament and what a party! And what a job by the partypoker LIVE staff in setting up a phenomenal poker room. Serious kudo’s to all of you!
One of the fun nights was Quiz Night/Karaoke night (where the kids stole the show). Our guest host for Quiz Night was Jeopardy game-show sensation James Holzhauer, who won Jeopardy 32 times in a row for $2.5m AND won the Jeopardy TOC for another $250k on Nov 15, the day CPP kicked off! He then headed directly to Baha Mar to join us for Quiz Night and play in the $10m guaranteed Main Event. Thanks, James!
Quiz night consisted of teams of two. The top four teams from the prelims advanced to the finals to face James. He hosted the prelims and I hosted the finals and came up with the questions for them, which I later acknowledged were too tough for them but hey, aren’t they supposed to be tough questions in the finals? One thing I learned – today’s players are not as knowledgeable about poker history as I thought they would be. (I know I’m Old School and a poker junkie, but come on, it’s poker history!)
Here are some of the questions I asked that no one got. Can you get any of them? (Stay tuned to @partypoker for the answers.)
- Every player that won the WSOP main event in the first 20 years – with the exception of two – is in the Poker Hall of Fame. Name the two players that won in the 70’s & 80’s that are NOT in the PHOF.
- In the 50 year history of the WSOP, only one player was knocked out of the main event on the final hand of the tournament holding pocket Aces. Who was it? (Hint: he finished 2nd twice in the main event.)
- What Poker Hall of Famer is credited with creating the game of Texas Hold’em?
- To most people, the Masters is the most coveted title in golf. Jack Nicklaus won it six times, Tiger Woods five, Arnold Palmer four, and five players won it three times each including Jimmy Demeret, Gary Player, and Phil Mickelson. Name the other two players who won the Masters three times.
- There are five new sports that have been added to the 2020 Olympics. Those include baseball/softball, karate, and skateboarding. Name the other two.
- Who won the Men’s Downhill ski race at the 1976 Winter Olympics? (Hint: his home country hosted the Winter Olympics that year.)
- Name the first blind person to reach the summit of Mt. Everest on May 25, 2001.
Congrat’s to Lyn and Wendy Henderson who won Quiz Night. The cool thing about them winning was that Lyn won a charity event I hosted (“Sexton on the Beach” at the Deepstacks Charity Classic) just a week earlier at the Isle Casino in Pompano, FL and first place was a $15k package to the MILLIONS CPP donated by partypoker LIVE. They said, “What a dream vacation we had. Thank you partypoker LIVE.”
Allow me to give a BIG shout out to Adrian Mateos from Spain for not only winning the MILLIONS CPP Main Event ($1.35m) but also for winning the $25k buy-in Super High Roller as well ($700k) – guy played two events and won ‘em both. Incredible!
After returning to Vegas, I had the privilege of hosting the amateur Mosconi Cup (pool and poker) at Mandalay Bay. For those who may not know, the Mosconi Cup, sponsored by partypoker, is the Ryder Cup of pool (USA vs Europe in nine-ball). I was ‘wowed’ by the amazing atmosphere of this event. It rivals anything I’ve ever seen in any sport. It was rowdy, exciting, and such fun. And let me add, the players were sensational. Hats off to Matchroom Sports for creating this event. I wish we could create a poker event with this much enthusiasm! Congrats to Team USA for winning (& defending) the 2019 Mosconi Cup and for Team Europe winning the first-ever amateur Mosconi Cup.
I want to wish all participants the best of luck in the $20m guaranteed – yes, $20m (largest ever) – partypoker MILLIONS Online tournament kicking off today. There’s still time to get involved, with satellites running right up to the start of Day 1A.
September 1947 – September 2020